Title: Prescription Drug Abuse and Misuse
This ASBN 1 Contact Hour CE course provides Arkansas APRNs with information relevant to issues associated with prescription drug abuse and misuse. Rules and regulations applicable to the APRN are discussed to facilitate managing scope of practice.
Upon completion of the course the learner will:
- identify behaviors that are commonly exhibited by drug seeking patients.
- recognize commonly abused prescription drugs.
- identify the first line therapy to treat chronic pain.
- describe risks and harms associated with opioid use.
- list common side effects of opioid narcotics.
- examine the Arkansas State Board of Nursing’s Rules regarding treatment of chronic nonmalignant pain.
Approved by ASBN for 1.0 contact hours. This course module meets 1 hour of pharmocotherapeutics as required for APRNs with prescriptive authority. Completion of the examination must occur to receive contact hour.
A certificate of completion will be available for download after successful completion of the examination.
Arkansas Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
This mandatory course is located on the Table Mesa platform. Register for a FREE Table Mesa account, or access an existing account in order to access the course and test.
As you set up your Table Mesa account, please keep the following items in mind:
- You will need to enter Advanced Practice Registered Nurse as your profession
- Enter Arkansas State Board of Nursing in the Search for courses or providers field
- Enter your APRN license number. You will also need to know your original license issue date and expiration date. You may locate the information at www.nursys.com
Review the course material via clicking on the Table Mesa link. Following completion of the course, complete the examination, with a mandatory score of 70 percent or better.
Direct link to Table Mesa: https://www.mytablemesa.com/account/registermain