Loans & Scholarships - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions about the Nursing Scholarship Program
- Who qualifies for the scholarship?
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, each applicant must
meet the following criteria:
- Bona fide Arkansas resident
- Hold a current unencumbered nursing license
- Teaching or hired to teach in Arkansas nursing program
- Be accepted or enrolled in an Arkansas approved nursing
program or nationally accredited out-of-state nursing program that meets requirements of ASBN and Department of Higher Education
- Enrolled in bachelor, master or doctorate program
- Have a valid financial need
- Not be related to an Arkansas State Board of Nursing Board member or staff according to the Arkansas Nepotism policies
- How much total scholarship funds may a recipient receive?
- Each scholarship recipient may be awarded up to $20,000. This amount is awarded over multiple semesters. Full-time students may receive up to $5,000 each semester (up to $10,000/year) and part-time students up to $2,500 each semester (up to $5,000/year)
- How many credit hours are required for full-time and part-time status?
- Full-time status is determined by the educational institution in which the applicant is enrolled. Part-time status is defined as a minimum of six (6) credit hours during the fall and spring terms and three (3) credit hours during the summer term
- How do I apply?
- The application can be downloaded from www.arsbn.org or www.adhe.edu. The application and all other documents should be submitted to Arkansas Department of Higher Education. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- When should applications be submitted?
- Applications are accepted twice each year. Applications for the spring semester should be submitted by November 1st (application available by September 1st) and by June 1st (application available by January 1st) for the fall semester
- What documents must be submitted with the application?
- Letter of support from the nursing education program where employed. The letter must confirm that the applicant is enrolled in an approved degree program (BSN or higher) which leads to qualifications as a nurse educator and is nationally accredited, regionally accredited and/or approved by the Board of Nursing
- Copy of the acceptance letter into a nursing program
- Degree plan which outlines the courses that need to be completed. The plan must show courses by semester and include each course name, course number and number of credit hours. The degree plan must be signed by the advisor
- Signed agreement that the recipient will teach full-time in an Arkansas nursing education program for one year for each year the scholarship is granted
- Transcript of courses taken in current nursing program and/or thirty
- (30) credit hours from previous nursing degree
- Documentation of other financial support available such as other scholarships or loans, employee tuition discounts/reimbursement, and/or stipend for tuition
- Do I have to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) report?
- Yes. The FAFSA report is available to the Arkansas Department of Higher Education and does not need to be submitted with the application.
- How are qualified applicants selected to receive money?
- The Board of Nursing has developed a funding formula which incorporates previous GPA, number of nursing credits completed toward degree, length of Arkansas residency, teaching experience and financial need
- How is the scholarship money awarded to the recipient?
- The scholarship is paid directly to the educational program at the beginning of each semester. Any funds left after expenses are paid will be dispersed to the student by the financial aid officer of the educational institution.
- Can the scholarship be used for previous educational expenses?
- No. The scholarship funds are awarded only for current expenses
- Can I attend any nursing program?
- No. The program must be a BSN or higher degree program which leads to qualifications as a nurse educator. In addition, the program must be nationally accredited, regionally accredited and/or approved by the Board of Nursing
- I received scholarship funds for the semester in which I am currently enrolled. Can I receive scholarship funds for additional semesters?
- Yes. Subject to the availability of funds, each scholarship shall be renewable annually until the degree is obtained or the maximum amount of the scholarship fund is awarded.
- Do I have to repay the scholarship?
- No, as long as you teach in a nursing education program in the State of Arkansas for one year for each year a scholarship was awarded.
- What happens if I am required to repay the scholarship fund?
- Scholarships will be repaid with interest at the maximum legal rate and become due and payable immediately if the recipient of the scholarship fund ceases to be enrolled in good standing in a recognized school of nursing before completing the education requirements or fails to teach for the specified time in an Arkansas nursing program. Failure to repay the scholarship as specified may be considered unprofessional conduct and disciplinary action against the nursing license may be taken.
- I have more questions. Who may I contact?
- Arkansas Department of Higher Education
114 E. Capitol Ave.
Little Rock, AR 72201